Sunday, October 5, 2014

English good or not?

I am born in a chinese spoken family and my english language result wasnt great since i was young. 
I remember during my lower primary school days, my mum had to make her trip down to school and talk to principle about our family situation so that they would excuse me to speak to them in english. 
My principle at that time was very nice, everytime she see me in school, she will say hi to me in chinese. 
Thats was quite bad, isnt it? Even though I did managed to pass all my english examination, result was all just passed. 

However, as I grow up, I learn that english is fun, even though I am weak in it, I keep on trying. Noone laugh at my english standard before, I think because it is still understand? 
I am always known as the hardworking ones and i have great friends and teachers around me who will help me correct my essay or compositions if i hand it to them early. 

Secondary school days, my class english standard were about the same as mine. 
We help each other whenever we can. 
Imagine my form teacher who was our english teacher as well, keep saying about our english. 
But he is a nice teacher, who teach us real well. He help me alot and teach me things that i can do to improve my english standard. 
Then come O levels, everyone was super scare of english because without a pass in english, alot of courses in poly wont be able to take you. 
Even if they do, you will have to retake your english if you plan to go for uni. 
I am quite proud that i manage to pass my english with a C6 grade because my class only a handful of us manage to pass. 
As for the other subjects, I am quite satisfied with the results too. 

Then I proceed to take Marine Engineering in Poly where we dont really need to use english? 
Except for one modules at the second or third year. 

After I went uni, I realised some of my friends were all super good in english except for a few who act as if their english is superb. 
There wasnt any modules that need english except for innovation. 
My innovation group members were horrible! They are lazy and doesn't give a fuck, and would wait for the last minute to do their things. WTF. 
This girl who was in the same group as me who keep commenting on my english. 
And keep saying oh gosh, uni student but english standard was like primary sch. Oh please? 
Let me say my piece, since I started schooling for the entire 24 years, I had never taste or know the feeling of failing a module and have to study again and retake. 
Because I always have this mindset, I wanna do everything just once and for all!
But look at the one who laugh at me. Where is she now? Cant even find a proper job or get a proper degree when her english is so "GOOD"? Hah. Karma bite back!

Since I started working, everything is all template and customised already, so there isnt a need to write fantastic english. My boss says my english is good enough to write a proper report since every month we need to do a report for the owner's review. 

I have come a long way in terms of my english journey and I am quite glad to be where I am today.

Morale of the story: Dont be afraid of keep trying even when people mock at you. As long as your priority and determination is right, nothing is impossible. Don't give up, keep on striving!

No comments: